Your home is an investment and protecting that investment means proper maintenance is important. Completing a few seasonal chores can help you extend the life span of your home while also cutting down on repair and renovation costs.
Don’t skip these 5 must-do fall maintenance tasks:
1. Check for and seal air leaks around windows and doors. Leaks in these areas can make it hard to control your home’s climate and as winter approaches, that could mean sky-high heating and gas bills. It could also make your home pretty uncomfortable year-round.
2. Clean out the gutters. When gutters get clogged with leaves and debris, water can’t drain properly. This might lead to standing water on your roof or eaves, which can cause significant and costly damage over time.
3. Inspect your roof. At the very least, your roof needs an annual inspection. Even small leaks or missing shingles can cause big problems like water damage, mold, mildew and more.
4. Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. These vital safety devices should always be in good working condition. Put them in test mode and make sure they’re all functioning properly. Batteries will usually need to be replaced every six months to a year.
5. Have your furnace inspected. If you heat your home with a gas-powered furnace, you’ll want the unit inspected at least once per year. Furnaces can pose serious fire and safety hazards if they’re not functioning properly.
It won’t take long to check these tasks off your list and the payoff is well worth the effort.
Considering buying a new home? Have questions about your home’s value? Contact Rooted&Co today.