To celebrate International Firefighters Day, we have compiled a list of ideas to keep your home safe and your family better prepared in the event of a fire.
- Clear your home’s surroundings of debris and combustible materials.
- Maintain your lawn and keep bushes and trees trimmed.
- Use fire-resistant materials when building or updating your home.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen. Take precautions in the kitchen like keeping paper and plastic away from heat sources. Don’t overload electrical outlets and keep children away from stove and oven knobs.
- Make sure your home has a fully functioning fire alarm system. Consider installing an automatic fire sprinkler system. Check smoke detectors on a regular basis.
- Prepare a fire safety plan. Include pet alerts on your window or door. Make an escape plan and teach your children what to do in the event of a fire.
- Make digital copies of valuable documents and records like birth certificates.
- Practice appropriate fire safety measures with campfires. Keep a shovel and fire extinguisher in an easily accessible place.